Breakfast in bed – cooked breakfast in bed – is such a treat.But what happens if you are the cook in your household, and no one else you live with can cook even the basics?
Here’s my tip: even children can manage to make this (under supervision of an adult, of course, who doesn’t have to know how to cook).
- Save an old milk carton. Wash and dry it properly.
- Put all the dry ingredients for the pancake batter into the milk carton the night before.
- All your non-cook then has to do the next morning is add in a cup of milk and an egg and half a tablespoon of butter, shake hard, and cook. There are surprisingly little lumps in the pancake.
DRY INGREDIENTS FOR THE PANCAKE BATTER (enough for four fluffy pancakes):
- 120g flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 pinch salt.
The next morning, add:
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk (240ml)
- 2 tablespoon melted butter (or oil)
Screw the lid on the milk carton and shake HARD and vigorously to ensure that there are no lumps. Cook with a little butter in a pancake pan or ordinary pan over the stove (note: we bought a cheap pancake pan from Lakelands and it has been a good investment).
I was very impressed when my non-cook brought me this in bed this morning x